Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup self raising flour sifted
- ⅓ tsp bi-carb of soda
- Pinch salt
- 2 tbsp castor sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp softened butter or extra light olive oil
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- Mix together sifted flour, soda, salt and castor sugar. Make a well in the centre, pour in the beaten egg, milk and vinegar, and add the softened butter or oil and vanilla.
- Beat until mixture is smooth. If it seems too thick to drop easily from a spoon, add a little more milk.
- Preheat Griddle to '3'. Drop the mixture onto the surface in small quantities (less than 1 tablespoon), reduce heat slightly and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip over with a spatula or plastic egg slide and cook the second side. As soon as underside is browned, remove and cool on a wire rack or kitchen paper.
- Serve with jam and whipped cream.
Makes about 30